Thursday, March 22, 2012

6 Month Update

Hi everyone, Mommy Kim here. Good thing that Lily loves to Blog, otherwise our posts would be few and far.

I wanted to give a quick update on Lily at her 6 month (surgical) mark. It was 6 months ago yesterday that Lily was operated on for a cervical disc rupture. As a matter of fact, that is the reason I started our Blog. It was a great way to relieve some stress and blow off some steam. It was also in hopes that maybe somewhere in the future our experience could possibly help someone else going through the same thing. It was a horrible and scary time in our lives and we are relieved it is all behind us. (Those of you who are new to our Blog, you are more than welcome to look back into our archives and read all about it.)

Lily is back to being herself 100% and for that we are TRULY THANKFUL! There were so many people involved in helping me and helping Lily, we found it amazing that we were so blessed with so many friends, both old and new.

When you hear or read about the Dachshund breed and the problems that can occur with their backs, one never thinks 'this will happen to us.' Boy was I wrong about that one! She will forever have to be careful with her activities, must always use a harness and we've worked really hard on getting her to use all of the ramps that we've built. She is prone to rupture another one ~ Ugh.

If you're going to take one piece of advice from this Blog, please let it be this: DO NOT LET YOUR DACHSHUND JUMP OFF FURNITURE! Easier said than done, I know. Build them ramps and train them young to use them. You don't want to be the one "walking in my shoes" next!!

We love you Lily Belle!

Hugs,
Mommy
xoxoxoxox

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad she's mostly okay now!!
    Dachshund Nola

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brudder hads a ruptured disc in his back and was paralyzed...him was only 4 years old.
    So believes me when I say we understand what you went throughs and da journey of da recoop.
    It is a skeery time fur sures.

    I am so thankfuls Lily has done so well! Doxie be kinda stubborn likes dat...hehehehe.

    Puddles

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEA fur Lily Belle's Recovery!! THAT is super grrreat. I know WE Dachshunds are supposed to be super careful. I try to explain this to Ernie butt he is kinda young to understand and I just HOPE he learns to not be hurtin himself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad for Lily Belles recovery! It must have been such a hard time!

    ReplyDelete

Lily Belle & Muffin would love to hear from you!